Monday 21 February 2011

I'm a freak of Nature-Nothing Fits me!!!!

Okay, so we have ALL said this to ourselves while waves of white hot embarrassment surge through our bodies as we try to squish ourselves into a garment.

"I'm a freak of nature-Nothing fits me!!!"

"How is everything?" the sales girl outside the insanely small fitting room chirps to you.  You secretly want to punch your fist through the curtain and strangle her scrawny neck, but you can't get out of the pants you just tried to squeeze into so you lamely whimper: "Fine".

Why is it we can never look them in the eye when we pass our garment back?

I'll tell you why.  It's because we have somehow bought into the lie that we should all fit into a NUMBER that is lower than our shoe size.  That our value as a person is equal to our ability to whittle down our gorgeous frames into coat hangers- All for the sake of what:  Fashion!?  That's not fashion my friends.  That is HATE!

We are being taught to hate our heavenly, womanly, beautiful vessels because some big name designer company has gone and down sized their sizing system. Since when is Size 0 an actual size!?  What's next?  Size -30?  That sounds more like a weather forecast.  In fact, that just sounds plain stupid!

I once got stuck in a dress because the arm holes were so tight. I thought I was going to die from humiliation.  I actually started crying because I thought I was so hideous. It took me weeks to get over it.  And when I did, I realized, it wasn't me that was too big, it was that I had chosen the wrong size for myself to try.  I was still hooked on that stupid number.

So next time, bring 3 sizes of the same thing into the dressing room with you.  The size you think you are, a size smaller and a size larger.  And PLEASE!, try on all 3!  You'd be amazed how much difference the rise in a pair of pants can make when you go up a size.  Remember mavens, MUFFIN TOP is a crime.  What has been seen cannot be unseen.  No one deserves to see that.  EVER.

Now, I know some of you are probably thinking: I'm a big girl, what should I do?

Well, for starters:  OWN YOUR SHAPE!

I am a size 12/14 north of the equator and 16/18 south of the equator. One doesn't get more pear shaped than me!

I live a happy, healthy and fulfilling life. I exercise, I eat right and my cholesterol and heart health are perfect. I just happen to be a larger woman.

And I can't believe it took me so long to accept myself.

Stop punishing yourself, stop fighting your body and start dressing it lovingly and with style! We all have our own personal body issues: big, petite, tall, skinny etc. The sooner we make peace with these issues, the sooner we can move forward to happier lives!

Sometimes I have to go shop in Plus Size Stores for essentials like pants and skirts.  I don't like to as I find the majority of what they sell to be insulting
(no one likes to be sold bad fashion-it tells you that your "size" is only temporary, so why would you want to invest in good clothes?  I find that mentality to be total garbage)

But I accept my frame as it is and I dress myself for the size I am right now.

So give away those "goal pants"!

They are a toxic.

They take up space in your closet and in your psyche.

You love to shop, so go buy yourself a new pair of pants when and should you happen to change your size in the future.  But until then, don't ever feel shame because you don't fit into something in the change room.

It's not you, it's the clothes.

It takes hard work to look great and to love yourself, but the payoff is SO incredibly worth it.  I promise you.

You're awesome.  Don't you forget it!


XOXO The Fashion Ninja
Lizz de Savoye

2 comments:

  1. You have a new blog fan in me Lizz, FABULOUS first blog!!! You however, have always be FABULOUS!!!!!! Woooooooot!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sing it, Lizz! So very true, you're a blessing!

    ReplyDelete