Wednesday 8 June 2011

I now pronounce this dress to be GORGEOUS!!!

After much trial, tribulation, tantrums and tears, I finally have TWO Bridesmaids dresses made.

And just in the nic' of time too!  My little Sisters wedding is on the 18th!

To be fair, I have no formal training.  I have not had the privilege of attending Central Saint Martins.....and it's been about 10 years since I last made a dress.
What can I say?  I am no Alexander McQueen.  But instead of trying to be him, I am simply aiming to be Lizz de Savoye instead.

But I have had the good fortune of being taught to sew by my late mother.  Further more, I have picked up some very useful techniques from my BFF who DID study Fashion and Design!

So as per usual, I fearlessly took the leap!

I know, I KNOW!!  What the H was I thinking when I offered to make these? What can I say?  I LOVE a challenge!  And I can't wait to make more dresses!  Apart from those blasted zippers, I had a bawl!  It was total agony and sheer ecstasy!

I won't visually take you through every step (do you have 12 hours?)...but I will show you some of the more fun parts!

Maggie, my cheerleader!

I think she enjoys the sound of my machine, "Atomic Betty".  She also purrs like a kitten.

MONDAY, JUNE 6th:  KATHRYN'S DRESS


Pinning the outer sheer layer to the satin under layer was essential before sewing the skirt to the bodice.

Creating the pleated waistband took about 2 hours alone.

Well worth the time and effort however as it is the central part of the dress and draws everything nicely together.

 Sheer outer layer of bodice front.

 Satin lining of bodice front.


12 hours of marathon sewing later...... I finished Kathryn's dress Monday night!
Hooray!  And Happy Dance!

Going to do a final fitting with her in Sat. eve.  My fingers are crossed that it fits her beautifully!


TUESDAY, JUNE 7th: MY DRESS!!!

Ah zippers, my old enemy!

Even with a zipper foot, you still vex me

and inspire many swears.


Have I ever mentioned my love affair with MOKUBA?

It is the most heavenly ribbon store in the world!  I don't care that I paid $35 for ribbon.  It looks gorgeous and that's enough for me!


I still have a long way to go with installing zippers and lining.  I cheated on this dress however and just decided to top stitch the lining in.

Don't judge me!

Since this is a strapless dress, I added ribbon loops to hang it by.

My favorite part!

I had a bawl sewing the ribbon to the bust line and the hemline.

Such a simple yet pretty effect!

My 2nd favorite part!  Attaching the tulle to the lining!

I had to make sure I didn't use to too much though.

Nobody wants the Black Swan for a Maid of Honour!

Et voila! 8 hours later I present to you, MY DRESS!!!!!

She looks so pretty!

Can't wait to show you pics from the wedding!

Stay Gorgeous Darlings!

XOXO Lizz de Savoye
The Fashion Ninja

2 comments: