Tuesday 6 September 2011

I MADE THIS!!!: Tshirt 2 Tote

I was at Old Navy back in May and I saw this amazing t-shirt on sale for $10.  I had hearts in my eyes as soon as I saw it.  But I had sworn off buying anymore t-shirts since I can't wear them very often these days. 

So what's a girl to do!?

Get struck by inspiration!  That's what!

I decided that I was going to turn that amazing tee into a tote bag!  I can wear THAT everyday, even with my retail wear!

And here's how I did it!

This is the shirt!  I love candy skulls SO much!

1st thing I had to do was pin the front and back together so I could cut an even pattern.
Because the shirt is made from jersey knit, I ironed it onto some interfacing to prevent it from warping.
To make assembly easier, I sewed the edge of the interfacing and knit together.

I then made a lining out of satin I got from a prop sale at work (I think it cost me 50c.?)

I even put in a multi-function pocket with pen holder. It's SO handy!
After sewing together the outer shell and lining, I sewed on the handles (made from left over raw silk I used in a previous dress).
Et voila! 

My new end-of-summer tote!  I have literally used it everyday since I made in last week!

What fab t-shirt will you use to make YOUR new tote!?

Stay Gorgeous Darlings!

XOXO The Fashion Ninja
LiZz de Savoye
lizzdom.tumblr.com

1 comment: